Safety Signs News

Company exposure fine highlights safety sign importance

9th February 2010 | Health and Safety Signs

A Glasgow company has been prosecuted and fined after exposing workers to dangerous levels of mercury on several occasions, illustrating the importance of safety signs.

Electrical Waste Recycling Group, registered to 400 Denmark Street in Glasgow and formerly known as Matrix Direct Recycle, was ordered to pay a total of £145,000 at Bradford Crown Court following incidents occurring between October 2007 and August 2008.

The court was told that ventilation problems resulted in employees being exposed to potentially deadly toxic mercury fumes, including one pregnant worker, which illustrates the need to use health and safety signs.

Following the hearing, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Jeanne Morton commented: "This is a shocking case involving a large number of employees, many of them young and vulnerable, who were suddenly faced with the worrying possibility of damage to their long-term health."

Recently, Mike Gibb, principal inspector with the HSE, said that the cost of not using precautions such as health and safety signs can be enormous to companies.

Posted by Jason NichollsADNFCR-2754-ID-19604619-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.