Comet fined after contractor death at Wrexham store
One of the UK's largest electrical retailers has been hit with a five-figure fine after a contractor died at one of its stores in Wales.
The 33-year-old man was working on the roof of the Comet Group outlet on Mount Street in Wrexham on June 7th 2007 when he stepped on a fragile rooflight.
After plummeting 25 feet to the ground, he sustained rib fractures, a broken collarbone and soft tissue injuries which led to a fatal pulmonary embolism five days later.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that Comet failed to suitably protect the man with warning signs and equipment which could have prevented his fall.
The company pleaded guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined Ã‚Â£75,000 and ordered to pay costs of Ã‚Â£24,446.
HSE inspector Debbie John said: "The law is clear: companies must ensure contractors are competent to do the work they are hired to do, and they need to understand their responsibilities.
"A safe system of work must be agreed and the company should monitor contractors to make sure they undertake work safely as agreed."
Comet was originally founded in 1933 in Hull by George Hollingberry, who named it Comet Battery Stores Limited.
Posted by Jason Nicholls
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs