College hit with fine after window cleaner's fall
An educational institution in the Midlands has been fined after a window cleaner was injured in a fall from height.
The 50-year-old A Nicoll & Son employee was working on the roof of Lincoln College's main reception building on November 4th 2008 when he fell four metres to the ground.
Having spent a week in hospital after suffering broken ribs and a serious back injury, the man was forced to stay off work for months and even now only has limited capabilities.
At Lincoln Magistrates' Court, the college pleaded guilty to breaching Regulation 3(1) of the Management of Health and Safety Regulations 1999 and was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay £9,500 in costs.
A Nicoll & Son had already been fined £2,500 and ordered to pay costs of £2,948.20 for its role in the incident after a court case in October 2009.
Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Judith McNulty-Green explained that the college had not conducted an appropriate risk assessment for the window cleaner's work.
"Lincoln College had a legal duty to check its contractors had proper procedures in place but failed to do so," she said.
"Employers and organisations that hire contract staff have a joint responsibility to ensure the safety of all staff who work on site, to avoid serious incidents such as this."
HSE figures suggest that more than 1,000 people are injured as a result of slips, trips and falls in the workplace every month, meaning it is vital that firms install relevant warning signs.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs