Safety Signs News

Cheshire firm sentenced after asbestos exposure

9th October 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

Posted by Jason Nicholls

A Cheshire firm is to be sentenced after workers were left exposed to asbestos.

GrowHow UK was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after asbestos was found during a revamp of a 50-metre high industrial furnace on January 31st 2011.

HSE's investigation discovered the company failed to carry out an adequate asbestos survey before the project was allowed to start.

HSE inspector Daniel Longdon said: "Dozens of workers at GrowHow were exposed to potentially deadly fibres because the company didn't carry out a risk assessment to see if asbestos was present in the industrial furnace."

Roughly 4,000 die every year due to breathing in asbestos fibres, meaning it is now the biggest single cause of work-related death in the UK.

GrowHow UK Ltd was fined £60,000 and ordered to pay £17,094 in prosecution costs after pleading guilty to a breach of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2006.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801647518-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.