Apprentice suffers broken arm in fall from height
A roofing firm from Carmarthenshire has appeared in court over an injury suffered by one of its apprentices.
The 18-year-old was working on the roof of a single-storey cottage in Ffairfach on October 7th 2009 when a metal sheet he was standing on buckled, causing him to fall three metres to the ground and break his arm.
Ammanford Magistrates' Court heard that his employer, Randell and Janes Roofing Specialists, had not carried out a suitable risk assessment for the job.
In addition, the apprentice had not been trained to use roof ladders and his supervisor had not received the required health and safety coaching.
The company admitted breaching Regulation 4 of the Work at Height Regulations 2005 and was fined Ã‚Â£2,000 and ordered to pay costs of Ã‚Â£1,500.
"It is disappointing that a company whose primary business is roof work displayed such significant failings," said Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Phil Nicolle.
"Employers have a legal requirement to properly plan work at height and ensure it is appropriately supervised, but this did not happen in this case."
According to the HSE, a quarter of workers killed in falls from height are from roofs, which should alert company bosses to the importance of using the appropriate warning signs.
Posted by Ben Alexander
There are no results for this search
- Fire Safety Signs
- No Smoking / Smoking Sign
- Warning Signs
- Security & CCTV Signs
- No Entry / Restricted Access
- Road and Parking
- Door / Office Sign & Glass Safety
- Signs By Trade / Business
- Signs By Classification
- Fixings and Hanging Kits
- Custom Signs
- First Aid
- Toilets & Hygiene
- Glass Awareness Stickers
- Health & Safety Posters
- Funny Safety Signs
- Charity Products
- Famous Film Signs
- E-cigarette Signs
- New Signs