Safety Signs News

Accidental electrocution could have been prevented

26th November 2013 | Health and Safety Signs

A firm based in Tayside has been fined by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a workplace accident left him with burns on his face, hands and arms.

Gordon Roberts, from Dundee, was testing conductors in an electricity substation when one of the corners of the cover he was moving came into contact with a live electrical part.

He was thrown off the ladder he was standing on, and was unable to walk outside without help.

The HSE found that McGill Electrical Ltd, Mr Roberts’ employer, had not completed any risk assessments or set up a safe system of work by disconnecting the electricity. It had not even displayed any safety signs to warn of the danger.

The firm was fined £2,000 after pleading guilty to breaching Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

HSE inspector Mac Young said: “This incident was wholly preventable.” Mr Young added that the lack of a safe system of work “exposed Mr Roberts to unnecessary risk”.ADNFCR-2754-ID-801664946-ADNFCR


There are no results for this search


Related Articles

Add £50 for free Standard shipping

Customer Feedback:

Safety Signs products and graphics © 2009 Viking Signs Ltd. eCommerce website © 2009 Mew Media Ltd.